Friday the 13th
So…today is Friday the 13th. Just saying it out loud conjures up visions of walking around ladders instead of under them, throwing salt over your left shoulder, never opening an umbrella inside and many more including that black cat cross in front of you.
Whether you believe in karma, predestination, que sera sera, or a mixture thereof, Friday the 13th fits comfortably between the 12th and the 14th and holds the same number of hours as any other day. It’s what we do in those hours that can be life changing. Life changing for you or for someone else.
Here are 13 ways you can improve YOUR Friday the 13th or any day you choose.
- Everyone has something GOOD about them. Give an honest compliment to 13 people. This can be in person, on social media, or strangers on the street.
- Social media shout-outs. On Twitter? Choose random people and retweet their pinned tweets. Facebook? Share business profile pages of places you’ve been or recommend.
- Book reviews- Did you review the last book you read? Whether it was yesterday or five years ago, go to Amazon, Goodreads, BookBub, Barnes&Noble and/or Books-A-Million and leave a review. They don’t have to be 5-star, and they don’t have to be long. One or two sentences is OK.
- Dog treats-whether you have a dog or not, offering a single treat (or a package to the pet owner) is usually very welcome.
- Return-to-sender If you have home delivery mail, consider putting a bottle of water, a weather-friendly sealed treat or just a thank-you in your mailbox.
- Going to the mall or grocery store? Compliment a mom on how well behaved their child/children are (IF they are) If the child is being a Tasmanian devil, sometimes it helps by making a point to stop and engage the mom with eye contact and a smile. THEN compliment HER with something you noticed about her. Sometimes just a break in the tension can help diffuse the situation. (But don’t get your feelings hurt is SHE lashes out at you with a ‘mind your own business’ type remark. You did your part.
- Post-it notes are great! Leave a ‘You are beautiful!’ on the bathroom mirror so the next person has an instant affirmation. Leave a ‘You are awesome!’ in the seat as you leave your seat in a restaurant, library, etc.
8.Send a positive text message to someone today.
9.Send a handwritten thank-you note to someone today.
10. Leave a YELP review for a local business – this helps them gain customers.
11. Give a child a book.
12.Send flowers (or pick them from YOUR yard) and give or have delivered to someone ‘just because’.
13. You can’t pour from an empty cup. Give yourself at least 13 minutes of ‘self-help’ time today. Read a book. Get a massage. Get a mani-pedi. Meditate. Take a walk.